Awareness for Rangie owners

Submitted: Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 10:36
ThreadID: 10316 Views:1763 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
To the other Rangie owner out there, (sorry I've lost your number)
A couple of months ago I was driving down the beach, all of a sudden a plume of smoke came out from under the dash, drivers side, left side of the footwell, anyway the plume of smoke came and went and I though no more of it, everything seemed to work and no fuses where blown.
Anyway, I came to plug my GPS into the cigarette lighter and it didn't work, decided against my better judgement to have a look,sought advice, couple of screws and the dashboard falls out, yea right........ 6000 screws later and much curseing and swearing, plus the removal of 90% of the facia panel I got to what I wanted to get to, the wiring loom, what a mess, I've been so lucky, the wires from the cigarett lighter have melted and are lying in the loom as bare wires, there has been a short somwhere in the lighter, can't see exactly where it's sort of melted, the dash light connection has also had something to do with what's happened this wire has also melted.
The fuses are all correctly rated and I've had them test blown to make sure they would blow at the correct rating which they did within half an amp. So at this time I haven't got to the bottom of this, this is just an awareness for those out there who think that nothing will happen with the electrical system because it's protected by a fuse, also shows the importance of fitting fuses when installing accessories.
If the other Rangie owner has had a similar incident please let me know what you found, I suspect it's a fault in the lighter somehwere everything seems to stem from there.
Mines an '85/'86 four door. Keep the shiny side up
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter- Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 17:40

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 17:40
Early rangies are noted for a lack of fuses on some wiring circuits, apparently the poms decided fuse=resistance=voltage drop so didn't fit them.
We have a 76 which has 4 fuses for the whole car! Well it used to have, now has a bank of relays, circuit breakers and fuses.
I've had several occurences over the years with wiring melted because there was no fuse in the circuit.
AnswerID: 45714

Reply By: David O - Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 13:00

Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 13:00
Other rangie owner here. :-)

Had now similar porblems with my previous RR (1984). Though I sympathise re the dash removal. I've had no similar probs with the 1990 vehicle and I have had the cig lighter out when fitting switches...easier job on the 1990.

I did however blow a heater hose (during overheating probs casued by blocked radiator) under the dash and have been advised leave it!!!!!

Cheers
AnswerID: 45865

Sponsored Links